Sunday, February 13, 2011

Bang Bangs


Yes, I got a (long overdue) haircut. Did you notice? It took my dad 2 days to figure out what was different. I suppose I can give him a break because my sister has bangs like these, and we often get mixed up.

This morning as I was getting ready for work my mom said, "Why do you look tall today?" I think part of it is the little bit of heel on my shoes, but the other part is that this outfit is almost monochromatic. If this photograph was converted to black and white, the green shirt and grey cardigan would be almost the same shade of grey. So all the pieces in this look are of the same value or intensity, which allows the eye to flow freely up and down, creating an optical illusion of length. An open cardigan also creates vertical lines that facilitate with this vertical movement of the eye.

Unfortunately, the shady background in these photos is also almost the same value as my outfit. I was so focused on the lighting and composition when I took these pictures I forgot the need for a contrasting background! oops.



Shirt: Marshall's, $8 // Cardigan: Ross, $8 // Pants: LOFT, $12
Shoes: Thrifted, $4 // Belt: Thrifted // Necklace: Anthropologie, $20

3 comments:

Valency said...

The bangs look AMAZING!! Two thumbs up! :)

TrophyBoutique said...

Your hair looks awesome! I love love love bangs and yours are no exception!

Laura Tenshi said...

You look so cute with those bangs and funny how it took so long for your father to notice the change. Dads, tell me about it.
I really like this shade of green, it's amazing.