Sunday, December 5, 2010

Monochromatic is so 2008

Image sources from left to right: Me Winter 2010 // Philip Lim Fall 2008 found via Kansas Couture
Jayma Mays Glee 2009 via Wattlebird // Kirsten Dunst 2007 via The Clothes Horse
Givenchy Fall 2008 found via The Clothes Horse

I don't pretend to be on top of the latest trends. At this point, I'm more interested in what average people are wearing than I am in runways. That's one of the reasons I love fashion blogs so much. Once I find a blog I like, my favorite way to experience it is to go back in the archives and read all the posts from first to last. This is a lengthy process, often taking a month or more, but is rewarding in that it reveals the story of the blogger and their development over time. If a blogger's archives are big enough, I find myself being influenced by styles that were attracting media years ago . (The image of Kirsten Dunst in beige is from 2007.) I recently finished reading the archives of The Clothes Horse, and her blog has exposed me to the (2008) runway trends that are influencing me today. She has several great posts on monochromatic outfits. All this to say: yesterday was "Red Saturday" at work, and this gave me an excuse to finally try out a (almost) monochromatic outfit of my own. At my work, every Saturday until Christmas has a theme: Sparkle Saturday, Scarf Saturday, etc. So here's what I wore to work yesterday:


Dress: Loft, $10 // Tights: Buffalo Exchange 7+ yrs ago // Shoes: JCPenny, $15, 4 yrs ago
Belt: Thrifted // Necklace and Earrings: Anthropologie, $10 each, 2 yrs ago

No comments: