Friday, October 8, 2010

It's time, Swing Time!


Welcome to my new style blog!

I've been inspired by the wonderful blogs of The Clothes Horse, Calivintage, and Kansas Couture for a while now, and I've finally decided to start my own. This is the place where I plan to share the things that inspire me and how they effect my creativity. This may end up including a lot of things, but to give you an idea, I love art, film and fashion.

For the next few weeks I'm going to use inspiration from Film starlets from the 1930's. Here's my attempt at re-creating this image of Ginger Rogers from Swing Time. And in the spirit of truly being influenced by fashion blogs, I also included some other pics I took just for fun.


Dress: Dillard's // Cape: mom's // Necklace: mom's // Shoes : Decree, JCPenney

While my friend's may often compliment my clothes, I'm not particularly savvy when it comes to hair and makeup. I made an extra effort for this shoot, but you can't tell because of my mediocre camera skills. (I took all these pics myself with a Cannon Power Shot A480 and it's handy-dandy timer) So here's a close-up. I'm so proud of myself!


I knew starting out would be tough, but blogging is a lot more work than I thought. I have a newfound respect for all you fashion bloggers out there. I took about a hundred photos, but most of them were rubbish because I'm not particularly photogenic. The images I posted were rare gems. I have faith that I will get better though. It's fun to see how bloggers progress over time. A few weeks ago I started reading posts from Rebecca of The Clothes Horse in chronological order. She's been blogging for over 3 years now and her photography has made amazing improvements.

4 comments:

Clara said...

This is neat, Molly!

It's true--you get better at all kinds of stuff the more you do it. Apparently all that jazz about practice making perfect was for real.

HeatherU said...

I've always loved Grandma's wedding picture; do you have that?

Kate said...

Molly, that shot of you twirling the dress is lovely! How did you time that? I love the designs and colors of your blog page as well.

Molly O said...

My camera has a setting where you can have it take multiple shots right after another, so I set it to take ten shots in a row, and I twirled, and one of them happened to turn out well.