Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Cubic Holiday





This past Thursday was the first day of a four day weekend that my university likes to call "Fall Break". I felt like wearing something celebratory, so I looked in my closet and found this skirt. I don't wear it very often because it feels kind of frumpy, and is difficult to style. But then I had the brilliant idea to pin it in the back so that it fit like a high-waist skirt. Now it looks fresh and fun with a simple off-white T-shirt. This outfit, with it's clean lines and bright print, looks like it's referencing the 60's, but it has some other influences as well.
The print on the skirt resembles cubism, an art-movement of the early 1900's. The painting I have shown is "Nature Morte Cubiste"(1930) by Pippo Oriani. I know I've seen a photo of some starlet from the 30's wearing cut-out oxfords, but I can't seem to find it right now. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Katharine Hepburn. She wore oxfords all the time.

Shirt: Urban Outfitters, $10 // Skirt: Thrifted, $7 // Belt: off a $20 pair of shorts from UO
Shoes: Urban Outfitters, $20 // Watch: Francesca's Collections, $18 // Bracelet: mom's

1 comment:

luhring said...

I really like the light on these photos, how it shines almost horizontally from the right. Oh, and the model is gorgeous! LMU