Friday, October 22, 2010

Lace Those Oxfords


It's been cloudy all day, but the sun shone through for a few minutes just in time for me to take a few shots. Unfortunately my camera battery died soon after, so I wasn't left with very many options to choose from. I think I need a new battery because it only held a charge for about 15 minutes.

Today's outfit was really inspired by the socks. I decided to pair them with my comfy cognac oxfords so my feet would be happy at work, and everything came together from there. I usually try to carry a color scheme throughout an outfit so it feels more pulled together, but It's easy to over do it. I felt like my white and black top went well with the tights without being too "matchy-matchy", while the warm tones of my cameo necklace and belt connected with my shoes. With so many accessories already I decided to keep the jewelry fairly simple (for me), so no bracelets here.

There's also a little story about my oxfords. All summer I looked for oxfords that were in my price range and didn't make my feet look huge. (I wear a size 9). I finally found these Steve Madden ones on the Famous Footwear site for $30, which is amazing because they're real leather. They come without laces. I ordered the 9 and the 9.5, and the bigger size fit me better, but they weren't very flattering. Disappointed, I was ready to return both pairs when I got the idea to put laces in. I had some thin off-white ribbon, and I laced them backwards, thinking the the bow in the middle of the shoe would divide the space, creating the illusion of smaller feet. And it worked! Now these are my favorite shoes for fall.



Shirt: EJ, $7 // Dress: Loft, $44 // Socks: gift from mom // Shoes: Steve Madden via Famous Footwear
Belt: Buckle, $20 // Earrings: Anthropologie, $12 // Necklace: gift from grandma

No comments: